Despite incredible competition, the food truck industry is growing. Shows like The Great Food Truck Race have inspired entrepreneurs everywhere to follow their food truck dreams. If you’re looking into starting your own food truck, you need inspiration, hard work, and a solid business plan. For over 25 years, St. Matthew’s Plumbing has provided residential and commercial plumbing services to Louisville and the surrounding area – including food trucks! With our experienced and knowledgeable employees, our goal is to enable you to earn the permits, pass inspections, and operate the food truck of your dreams.
Tips For Starting A Food Truck
Did you know that Kentucky has some of the strictest plumbing codes for businesses than any other state? Before beginning operation, there are crucial steps to follow, several permits to obtain, and inspections to pass. Take note of the following tips to help start your dream business:
- To see if the industry is a good fit, try working in a food truck for a few days to really understand the pace and process.
- Buy food items in bulk when you can to avoid commissary costs.
- Consider operating during unconventional meal times. Late night concerts, and busy streets on weekends are good places to set up shop.
- Utilize social media to advertise your food truck and update your followers on your locations and specials.
Equipment and Permits Needed In A Food Truck
The list for required equipment in a food truck can be exhaustive, which is why we have created a free Food Truck Refurbishment Checklist to help the Kentuckiana food truck community operate at their best.
Just a few pieces of equipment needed in a food truck are:
- A 3-compartment sink
- Completely enclosed kitchen within the truck
- Hot and cold running water
We mentioned the several permits and inspections above, but did you know there are nine total? Some include:
- Your food truck floor plans must be approved by Department of Health & Wellness and by KY Division of Plumbing
- Vehicle liability insurance
- Final plumbing approval from plumbing inspector
To get the full run down of necessary equipment, inspections/permits, and other rules to remember, download our checklist and when your food truck is ready, request service with us to ensure the truck is up to code.